Just a simple little blog to talk about my knitting, my cats, my wonderful son, and perhaps other things in my life.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Decision about winnings

You may recall that I won a $15 US gift certificate for Elann.com and was trying to decide what to spend this new found wealth on. I finally decided to get "The Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques" by Nancie M. Wiseman. The area of knitting that I feel I need to do the most work on is finishing, so hopefully this book will teach me some new tricks and help me feel more confident.

There are many projects which I have put aside for another day just because of all the seams that would have to be sewn or the special details that are needed to complete it. The knitting is fine, bring on the texture, I'll even do fair-ilse and I would be willing to try intarsia, but not if it means sewing a lot of seams. My greatest fear is that I will finish knitting a project, the fabric will be smooth and even, the detailed stitches perfect, and then I will sew it into a mess that can only be called "home made." I want everything that comes off my needles to be worthy of being called "handmade" and some things might even strive to be "art." So I have stuck to afghans, scarves, hats, and sweaters knit in one piece. The fewer seams the better.

I am working on this. With the
Haiku I had to sew the shoulder and the sleeve seams, but I am stuck at sewing the sleeves into the body of the sweater. I don't want to move forward until I can visualize how I will do the seam so that it will be perfect. I know that if it doesn't look right I can just undo the seam and start over, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I just want it to be right the first time. Of course I am willing to re-do as needed, I sewed 3 seams for the 2 Haiku sleeves, it must be perfect you know. :)

On the topic of Elann.com the purchase of the above book, and some knitting related note cards, brought my total Elann purchases to the point where I have now "earned" my first $50 US Elann Dollar Credit! Those of you that shop Elann know what that means!
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?