Just a simple little blog to talk about my knitting, my cats, my wonderful son, and perhaps other things in my life.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Freecycle

It really feels good to give stuff away. This week I used Freecycle™ to get rid of an old dining set that we don't use anymore, some clothes, and a microwave starilizer that has been used by both me and my sister, and some toys that Cole has outgrown. I know that I could have given this stuff to a charity but most won't take furniture, and this dining set is Heavy, and also I like the idea of knowing where my stuff is going. With Freecycle I placed my "Offer" ads and picked the person that I wanted to give each thing to then waited for them to come get it. Nice and simple, well a few reschedules but everything out of the door in less than a week. It is a good feeling to be able to declutter and give things to someone that really wants them.

I use a pretty random method of picking the recipient, I go with the one with the email I like best. I try not to give to the first person that asks for an item, just to be fair. I also have to stop myself from outright rejecting anyone with a total sob story. I am jaded, anyone with that much going wrong can't be real. But it might be real, so I gave the dining set to a woman who was going to give it as a surprise to a Single Mother of 5 that has just had a house fire with no insurance. I hope who ever gets it enjoys it. As with the items I knit and give as gifts, once it leaves my house I have to let it go. It no longer belongs to me and I can't worry about how it will be treated or who ultimately enjoys it.

8/8/05: Updated to Freecycle™ in the first instance of Freecyle as requested.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?